Wednesday 30 September 2020

RATIOS

Ugh - sounds like maths! I suppose it is! But before you run away let me explain: When two wargamers meet for a game (and it is just a game) the ratio of figures on the table to their historical counterparts is of little consequence as long as the forces are reasonably balanced so each player has a chance of winning or achieving set objectives. When attempting to recreate a historic battle in miniature however, these ratios become immensely important. 

Many rules work on the basis that 1 figure represents a set number of men (say 1:20. 1:50 or 1:100 for example).The rules I have used for many years (Volley & Bayonet) work on the basis that rather than the figure representing a number of men, there are points per unit. So a unit represents a brigade and 1 point of strength represents 500 men. In pure V&B a unit is one base but I complicated this by having two bases per unit because I think it looks better and you can depict troops marching or in square without using counters. 

With me so far?

Right; currently a) dissatisfied with rules and b) fighting smaller battles... This has led to a series of dilemmas.

If I use a unit as a battalion I simply don't have enough figures for that and there will be no room for manoeuvre  same if I use a base (i.e. half a current unit) as a battalion.

If I use a unit as a regiment it is a bit odd and some of those Austrian regiments were pretty big in 1809. So I think I will go for something around this level - maybe making each base able to fight separately (using new rules but probably retaining the 'strength points') and perhaps giving the larger Austrian an extra base... I'll see how this works out...

So - currently this would be a French division with two bases representing a regiment. If you were to represent each battalion in this way you would need three times the number of figures = too many this area. If I go with each base representing a battalion I would only need to increase by a third. That's still a lot of painting. 


Battalions often operate independently, particularly in rough terrain so maybe that is the best way...

Or I could just divvy up the numbers, see how many 'strength points' that buys and distribute accordingly? Hmm...
 

4 comments:

  1. This is really interesting to me Phil. My own, largely theoretical approach at this stage is to scale the game up and down according to the different focus. So, the units manoeuvring or milling about will be at a larger scale than those that are on the battle line. Or, I'll switch scale if I want to look at a section of the front in more detail. Practically this may occur on the same table, or over different scales for different aspects of the battle/game. I'm leaning towards the latter and using different rules for different scales. To that end I have had a go with a couple of the many sets that I am considering (Volley and Bayonet amongst them!). This may well even require re-setting the table for a switch of focus. I'd be taking full advantage of playing something out over an extended period, leaving it set up. I'd likely only do this for a battle that I wish to explore in detail. Depends how it goes, I guess!
    Perhaps for you the best is the compromise of regiment per base for the larger (or your smaller!) battles/games and battalion per base for really small battles or sections of larger ones? This may be achievable with the figures that you have and just change the focus of the game (perhaps even the rules) to suit?
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
  2. James - I think it will change depending on the scenario. The next battle which will be based on the later stages of Gill's interpretation of Teugn Hausen and Dunzling will use a ratio of 1 strength point per 250 men and a base per battalion where practical with smaller units only having two bases to a regiment even if there were 3 battalions. Extra bases bases have been painted and the troops are mostly on the table so watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I will be trying Horse Foot & Guns (with adjustments) which are a set of rues that have been under development by Phil Barker (WRG & DBA man) for many years. I played them some years ago with my usual opponents and didn't like them but they might be about right for solo battles and if anything doesn't work for me - I will ditch because it's my game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is the spirit that I like and my modus operandi too—along with bringing in bits from elsewhere that I *do* like!

      Delete